A roll former that manufactures steel roofing and ceiling battens (typically HAT shaped purlins) is known as roof batten roll forming machine or ceiling batten roll forming machine.
Batten has multiple meanings in construction and shipbuilding but is generally a strip of solid material, historically made from wood but can also be made from plastic, metal, or fiberglass. In the steel industry, battens used as furring may also be referred to as “top hats“, in reference to the profile of the metal.
According to WIKI, the steel battens work most of time as roofing and ceiling. Steel foof and ceiling battens are light yet strong, offering an economical alternative to timber battens. Manufactured from hi-tensile zinc/al steel, the battens are capable to remain straight and consistent throughout their long life. The HAT shaped profile of the batten allows for nesting, making them easier to store, carry and handle.
There are so many metal or steel batten systems available for domestic internal use and even available for cyclonic and high wind regions.
The common reasons for applying steel roof and battens are as following:
- Helps to prevent plaster board from cracking, which can happen when directly fixing the lining boards to timber.
- It’s easy to obtain a flat level ceiling even if the timber is uneven.
- Fixing of ceiling batten along with some clips will reduced impact of noise between the top and bottom floor in a residential house.
- Timber shrinkage is less likely to affect steel battened linings.
- Less chance for call-back maintenance saves time and money.
As one of light gauge steel building materials, the roof battens work the same way as stud furring channels, or top hat purlins. Therefore, a roof batten roll forming machine actually has another names furring channel roll forming machine or top hat purlin roll forming machine.
Features of Roof Battens:
- A textured surface makes installation easy when fixing the cladding.
- 0.55mm thick hi-tensile steel is very strong, light weight and easy to cut with tin snips.
- The 40mm high profile provides strength and is designed to nest for easy handling and storage.
- Each flange has a groove for easy fixing location.
- The return edge provides safety and rigidity.
- Available in stock lengths with mitred ends for easy installation at hips and valleys.
However, the ceiling battens somehow have been applied as the way how stud and track works, but their shapes are different. See more about stud and track roll forming machine.
Features of Ceiling Battens:
- The return edge is folded back on itself, providing a safe edge and a rigid profile.
- 0.42mm thick hi-tensile steel is very strong, light weight and is easy to cut with tin snips.
- The 20mm high profile provides strength and is designed to nest for easy handling and storage.
- A cavity on the bottom prolongs the batten’s life by preventing condensation from forming.
- A textured surface makes installation easy when locating and screwing plasterboard fixings.
- Any customized lengths ceiling Battens are available for easy handling and storage.
Brief Introduction of Roof Batten Roll Forming Machine, Ceiling Batten Roll Forming Machine:
Generally, a roof batten roll forming machine, or ceiling batten roll forming machine consists of decoiling system, feeding unit,roll forming machine, cutting unit, hydraulic system, PLC control system and run-out tables.
Like other light gauge steel frame roll forming system, a roof batten roll forming machine works at a speed 0- 12m/min. Under the PLC control system, this roll forming machine cut the final products as per required lengths and quanitites. In addition, chains-sprokets transmission is typical transmission method for a ceiling batten or roof batten roll forming machine.
Besides, there is an embossing roller or roller for embossment at the feeding of roof batten roll forming machine. The embossed battens can offer higher strengths that some buildings may require in some regions or areas.
Technical Parameters of Roof Batten Roll Forming Machine, Ceiling Batten Roll Forming Machine:
- Decoiler: Manual decoiler;
- I.D: 508-610; O.D: 1000-1200mm;
- Weight Capacity Of Decoiler: 3 Tons;
- Roll Diameter: 70mm;
- Forming Roller stand: 14 stations;
- Roller material: 45# steel coated with hard chrome;
- Forming Speed: 0-12 m/min (not including punching or cutting);
- Machine Frame stand: Welded structural steel;
- Thickness of stands mounted plates: 18mm;
- Main Power: 5.5KW;
- Cutting type: Hydraulic stop-to-cut;
- Hydraulic power: 3 Kw;
- Material of cutting blade: Cr12 Steel with quenching treatment;
- Electrical control system: Japanese Panasonic PLC with inverter and Omron encoder;
- Voltage: 380V, 3 Phase 50Hz
MTC® offers ceiling batten or roof batten roll forming machines for manufacturing steel battens with customised sizes. Besides,we are open to design and build any customized light weigth steel frame roll forming system.