There are so many cold roll forming machine suppliers around the world. Whenever you purchase a cold roll forming machine, at the end you will make a decision. Seeing the finished machine is finally working at your facility, do you like your choose?
Cold Roll forming is a flexible process, where both the fundamental rules and the exceptions can be utilized. Typically a cold roll forming machine works in an automatic and continuous cycle. The material is fed into the machine where it continuously makes its way through consecutive roll forming stands, ending with the completion of a final product. See some descriptions in Wiki about Roll Forming.
Cold roll forming machine fabricates various metal products out of long strips of metal, most commonly coiled steel. Usually, manufacturers design a specific drawing of the required cross-section profile for the machine to bend the metal as necessary. Other than roll forming, a traditional cold roll forming machine performs some other metalworking processs, including online cutting and punching.
Cold Roll Forming Machine Line BEFORE
The required metal product is always achieved through the process from decoiling, roll forming , cutting and exiting. In addition, there are many products with holes or slots needed, and in this case punching tools are necessary.
For the modern roll forming machines, there are more advanced operation and more duties to be done. However, for a traditional cold roll forming machine, it can do only the basic metal duites: roll forming and cutting.
Such basic cold roll forming machine has a line that commonly consists of five major parts.
- Entry Section. Entry section is for the material loading or feeding, and some manufacturers call it feeding guide. The material has been fed either in pre-cut sheet or from a continuous coil.
- Roll forming Section. This section concludes rolling tools, stands transmissioning unit, power unit and the base structure. It is where roll forming and metal shaping exactly happens as it goes through the consective stands. The roll forming section doesn’t just shape the metal, with electrical motor loaded, it also provides the driving force of the cold roll forming machine
- Cut-off Section. Cut-off unit is a necessary tool to cut the sheet to a pre-measured length from continuous coiled material. Flying die cut-off tool is not uncommon for some cold roll forming machine with high speed requirement.
- Exit Section. Exit station protects the finished products from dropping off to the floor. After cutting, there is a roller converyor or table to support the finished products, which operators will take away manually after then.
- Control Section. It’s a very simple control with a few buttons on it. It controls the forwarding, and backwarding of the machine. There might be buttons for manual cutting. The basic control section is necessary for manual operation of the cold roll forming machine.
Cold Roll Forming Machine Line NOW
As the age advances, people have more needs on cold roll forming machines duties. A traditional cold roll forming machine just does shaping and cutting, but today’s machines have features of punching, embossing, bending, locking and even welding on line. Besides, the apperance of cold roll forming machines has also greatly improved. As a result, the control system has also developed based on different jobs a cold roll forming machine line usually makes.
In conclusion, the major developments on a cold roll forming machine line may list as below.
- ID Designing. The modern cold roll forming machines have various kinds of ID designing, from the transmission unit, to the roll forming stands designing. Also, cooling system and safety barriers have been necessary for some machines.
- Leveling Section. Heavy duty roll forming machines are necessary to roll form more than 3mm-thickness steel. In this case, the raw material has to enter leveling section so that they can be roll formed flat and straight.
- Punching/Pressing section. On a basic cold roll forming machine, it’s not available to punch holes or slots on line. However it’s not working on modern roll forming machines. There are not only holes or slots, but also many different punching options required, such as notching, steps, and company logos etc.
- Embossing Section. There are products that requires embossed patterns. In this case, manufacturers will add embossing rollers in the line, before, during or after roll forming.
- Locking/Welding Section. Some special products require on line locking, like rainspouts, and some has to been welded on line, seamless welded pipes for example.
- Safety Section. There are cooling system, and safety barrier on some cold roll forming machines that working mostly in Euorpean and American markets for safety reason.
- Control Section. The control section has innovated a lot based on the complicated jobs a morden cold roll forming machine does. Modern manufacturers use PLC control system, as the new ‘brain’,to ensure the accuracy of cutting and punching.
Cold Roll Forming Machine Line Tolerances
As we may notice, there are always tolerances stated on the drawings of cross-section profiles. Why? Because tolerances are not avoidable and caused or influnced by many reasons. For example, different materials, varying metal thickness or width, material springback during production, the quality and wear of the tooling, actual machine condition, and the experience level of the operator etc.
The Benefits of Cold Roll Forming Machine
Apart from the discussed in the previous section, roll forming machines offer the user some specific advantages. Cold roll forming machine is energy efficient because it does not expend energy to heat material—the metal shapes at room temperature. Roll forming is also an adjustable process and is applicable to projects of varying time duration. Additionally, roll forming results in a precise, uniform part.
More details please visit our another article ROLLFORMING–MAKING THE CASE
How to keep roll forming machine working well?
Any machines or equipment has to be kept well in order to work in perfect condition. Cold roll forming machine is one of them. Whenever you purchase a roll forming machine, please be sure to maintain it well.
- Work in correct environment. Do not run your cold roll forming machine at extensive bad weather, too hot or too freeze. Rollers on the cold roll forming machine must be kept clear, free of dirts.
- Get the machine running smooth. Be sure to fill correct gear oil into the motor and gearbox. Transmission system on cold roll forming machine requires grease.
- Operate with attention. There is touch screen on Control box, and be reminded to use it with fingers only. Furthermore, there is program for the Control system, so do not amend any system datas.
- Do not work the machine overtime. Try not to run your cold roll forming machine more than 8 working hours a day. It needs rest as you do.
- Do not run the machine at max speed all the time. Typically operating at speeds between 10-20m/min as per the desiging of machinery. Cold Roll forming machines are a good choice for manufacturing large quantities of parts or very long pieces.
Cold Roll forming machines are also good for making precise profiles that require very little, if any, finishing work. In most cases, depending upon the raw materials, the end product features an excellent finish and very fine detail.